Reducing day-to-day contact with other people, reduces the spread of the infection. That is why, from Thursday 5 November until Wednesday 2 December, the rules are:
- Stay at home, except for specific purposes.
- Avoid meeting people you do not live with, except for specific purposes.
- Close certain businesses and venues.
These new measures will reduce the growth rate of the virus, which will:
- prevent the NHS from being overwhelmed
- ensure schools, colleges and universities can stay open
- ensure that as many people as possible can continue to work
These measures will be underpinned by law. Police and other authorities will have powers to give fines and break up gatherings.